Thursday, January 27, 2011

Character development

Exercise 2
“Why am I so fat and ugly? Just look at my big tummy.” Tom is a plump boy with a rosy cheek. Well, rosy cheeks are supposed to be good, but he is already 16 years old, and he still had that baby-like smooth complexion and pinkish cheeks. Every day, he looked into the mirror and sigh deeply, he would pinch the fats of his tummy and feel sorry for himself. In school, he would look enviously at the people of sports CCA. “What a lean body do they have..” the he would look at himself and wallow in self pity. He could not join any CCAs because of his weight as he was forced to join the fitness club. As a result of all the factors, he had low self-confidence and do not even dare to look at some of his classmates in the eyes. After all, even he was disgusted by his own body. Every night while sleeping, he would need a lot of energy before he could flip his body, and he would perspire really easily. Actually, most of his classmates found him a nice person, just that he refused to open up to them and preferred to live in his own isolated world of self-pity. He is just too concerned about his self-image.
“I am so fat…” it was another of Tom’s self-pity time.”Hey! Tom! Want to play football together!” Tom turned and his face gleamed even brighter than the sun.

Exercise 4
I sighed. It echoed throughout the lonely four walls that were confining me. It was about five in the morning. The sheriff unbolted the prison door that was confining me and led me through the isolated passage way full of cobwebs for my daily morning bath. Every footstep was as loud as a strong drumbeat in that isolated passageway. Returning to my cell, I was handed a breakfast of plain bread and a cup of plain water through the slot in my prison. I shaved in front of the steel basin that rusted and mould over the years.
“ Is your new exercise object OK?” the sheriff asked. The weights were made available to me not long ago as a reward for supposed good behavior. “ Its fine, very good.” I replied trying to sound exhilarated. In the cases when the sheriff asked you those kinds of questions, it would never be wise to say no to his question.
After the breakfast, I changed into my uniform that has “Singapore Changi Prison” stenciled on it. I was once again accompanied by the sheriff to the prison working out area. That was the only time that we inmates got freedom to move about out of the four walls for an hour, and before we knew it, the sheriffs will lock the face-high stainless steel door and we will all have to head for our respective posts in the prison.
Returning to my dreaded prison, where there is no bed, with a floor just laid with cardboard for the slightest comfort, a steel basin that has not been cleaned for a couple of months. It had no windows, and the toilet was just beside the sink, without any doors to prevent the horrid smell from drifting out during bedtime. Just yet another standard day in the prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment